If you would like to join us and contribute to the development of tomorrow clean energy technologies and/or improve your skills for employability, there are several ways to do it:

  • Taste of research scholarships for undergraduates
  • Domestic and international scholarship for postgraduates
  • Scientia postdoctoral scholarships for those who already hold a PhD

Merlin ScholarshipsYou are an undergraduate student: Apply for a taste of research scholarship

Every year we propose a research project through The Taste of Research summer scholarships (TOR). If you are in year 2 or 3 and have excellent marks you will not only be offered the opportunity do research with us during a 12 week project but the Faculty of Engineering will also provide you with a tax exempt allowance of about $479 per week.

In some circumstances, Merlin will also offer funded TOR summer scholarships but you need to be an outstanding student.

For further information regarding projects and application process, please contact Francois Aguey (

You would like to embark on a longer research project with us and enhanced your skills and employability for managerial roles in industry, apply for a postgraduate scholarship.

UNSW has a wide range of prestigious scholarships available for those who would like to continue after their bachelor degree and further enhance their skills and potential for employability. These scholarships range from annual stipends, living allowances and tuition fee costs, to travel scholarships and supplement. For full information on these scholarships, please visit: Graduate Research School website.

International Student Scholarships

If you are international students with an outstanding academic track record, you will be able to get one of these prestigious scholarships to do research with us:

  • International Research Training Program (RTP)
  • University International Postgraduate Award (UIPA)
  • Tuition Fee Scholarship (TFS) plus research stipend
  • UNSW/Home Country Joint Scholarships, for example: China Scholarship Council (CSC).
  • Scientia PhD Scholarship – see the UNSW Research web-pages.

For full information on UNSW International scholarships, home country scholarships, and application deadlines please visit the Postgraduate Research Scholarship website or contact Francois Aguey (

Domestic Student Scholarships

If you are a local student with Australian citizenship or permanent residency and a least a bachelor degree with Honours 1st class you can join us by applying for a domestic student scholarship:

  • Domestic Research Training Program (RTP)
  • University Postgraduate Award (UPA)
  • Faculty top ups – attached to RTP or UPA
  • Scientia PhD Scholarship – see the UNSW Research web-pages

For full information on UNSW Domestic scholarships and application deadlines, please visit the Postgraduate Research Scholarship website, or contact Francois Aguey (

You are an experienced researcher and would like to do postdoctoral research with us, apply for a Scientia Fellowship.

If you have received your PhD, have an outstanding track record, and are not currently working at UNSW you may be competitive enough to be awarded a Scientia Fellowship to conduct research at UNSW.

For full information, please visit UNSW Research web-pages or contact Francois Aguey (